Serves 4 | Preparation time 30 minutes, plus 3 hours freezing time for the bananas
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
4 large ripe bananas, peeled and roughly chopped
2 Tbsp peanut butter, I use sugar-free
2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
2-3 Tbsp cold milk/yogurt or just water for dairy-free
For the Candied Cashews
100g cashew nuts, or nuts of your choice, either raw or roasted are fine
3 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp maple syrup (or ordinary syrup if you don’t have maple)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the Chocolate Drizzle
1 x 180g Chocolat Frey Milk Crunchy Nuts, finely chopped
WHAT TO DO
1. Place the bananas in a freezer-proof container and freeze for at least 3 hours.
2. Meanwhile, prepare your candied nuts as follows: If not roasted, toast in a heavy-based pan over medium heat until golden brown. Add the remaining mixture, stir until well coated and then stir over medium-low heat for a further 5-10 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat and pour the ingredients onto a non-stick baking tray or silicone baking mat, then set aside to cool before breaking or chopping into rough pieces.
3. Just before you blend your ice cream, melt the chocolate pieces slowly in a double boiler until smooth and silky; leave to rest and come to room temperature.
4. Once the banana pieces are frozen, place in a blender with the remaining ice cream ingredients (except the melted chocolate) and blitz until you have a smooth consistency. Swirl through the melted chocolate drizzle and return to the freezer until it firms up a little more, or serve immediately for a ‘soft serve’ consistency.
5. Serve with a scattering of candied nuts.