Serves 6-8 | Preparation time 10 minutes | Cooking time 15-20 minutes
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
For 20 vetkoekies
2 Cups flour
2 Tsp baking powder
1 Tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
1 Cup milk
1 Tbsp melted butter
For the Cinnamon Sugar
1/4 Cup caster sugar
1 Level tsp ground cinnamon
For the Chocolate-Orange Dipping Sauce
1/2 Cup fresh cream
25 ml Orange liqueur
Zest of 1 clementine or orange
200g Chocolat Frey Dark, roughly chopped
WHAT TO DO
1. Mix all of the vetkoek ingredients together to make a smooth thick batter.
2. To make the sauce, heat the cream and orange liqueur in a small saucepan over medium heat until the cream reaches a gentle simmer. Add in the clementine zest and then pour over the roughly Frey Dark chopped chocolate, leave to warm through for 2-3 minutes and then stir until silky.
3. Heat 2 cups of oil in a deep frying pan and gently drop in the batter, 1 Tbsp at a time. The temperature of the oil should be about 190C (you can test by adding in a small drop of batter and it should come out golden brown in about 30 seconds).
4. Fry the vetkoekies for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden, depending on the size.
5. Remove and set aside to drain on kitchen paper, then serve as soon as possible with a dusting of cinnamon sugar and the Frey Dark chocolate dipping sauce on the side.