Serves 4-6 | Preparation time 30 minutes | Cooking time 60-90 minutes
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
For the meringue
4 egg whites
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp cornstarch
Berries for topping
For the chocolate ganache
100 g Frey Dark caramel sea salt chocolate
200 g Frey Extra Dark 85%
150 ml cream
For the chocolate mousse
200 g Frey Extra Dark 85%, chopped
420 ml cold heavy cream
3 large egg whites
30 ml sugar
WHAT TO DO
1. Pre-heat oven to 150C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 9-inch circle (or square) on the parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually add in the sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and glossy. Gently fold in vanilla extract, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
3. Spoon mixture inside the circle (or square) drawn on the parchment paper. Working from the centre, spread mixture toward the outside edge, building edge slightly. This should leave a slight depression in the centre.
4. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, to make the ganache, add the chocolate and cream to a double boiler and heat until the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl from the heat when the mixture is glossy and silky.
6. To make the chocolate mousse, place the chocolate in a double boiler. Stir until melted. Remove bowl from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
7. Place egg whites and sugar in a large bowl and beat with for 5 minutes, or until mixture is thick and doubled in volume. Fold in cooled chocolate until combined.
8. In a separate bowl, whip cream until thickened (be careful not to over-beat). Use a large metal spoon to carefully fold the cream into the chocolate mixture, trying to keep the mixture as light as possible.
9. When everything is ready, place meringue on a flat serving plate. Fill the centre of the meringue with your chocolate mousse and drizzle with ganache, and then top with berries.